Optimizing the Last Mile
Doing last-mile logistics correctly leads to repeat business and loyal customers, but final-mile processes involve more than just a truck and driver.
1. Determine how fast the delivery really needs to be.
2. Offer flexible delivery options.
3. Provide order tracking information.
4. Improve visibility into supply chain processes.
5. Attach conveyors directly to trucks in the loading dock area.
6. Use brick-and-mortar stores as fulfillment centers.
7. Eliminate mispicks in order picking operations.
8. Share your expectations for the delivery.
9. Train customer service reps.
10. Use technology to plan and optimize driver routes.
Source: Inbound Logistics